Sunday, March 06, 2011

Personal Response: Letter to a Friend (By Scout Finch)

(Assume the friend is called Janice)

Dear Janice,

I would like to share with you my personal experience in Maycomb county when I was young. Since you live in the city since young, I think you understand little about life in this small American town. Let me share with you what I have learned when I was in first and second grade.

When I was in second grade, my brother Jem, and I actually witnessed a trial which our father(who was an attorney) defended a Negro. This Negro was accused of rape by Bob Ewell and his daughter, Mayella Ewell. Although Mayella Ewell claimed that Tom Robinson raped her, our father has sufficient evidence to prove that it was actually Bob Ewell who had beat his daughter. Tom Robinson, who was accused of rape claimed that he had not raped Mayella Ewell and in fact, Mayella actually tempted him and nearly kissed him. Of course, Tom Robinson who was a black and had a family of his own would never allow such things to happen. He fully understood the dire consequences if he were to be seen kissing a White lady. In fact, it was true that he had not raped Mayella and our father was right about it. Tom was indeed innocent. He was also helpful and often assisted to break up chiffarobes or repair other accessories in the Ewell's house. During the trial, Mr Gilmer, the attorney who was supporting the Ewells also mocked Tom by calling him "boy".


My brother and I was shocked about the racism in society. It was unfair that Tom Robinson was being accused wrongly of rape. Bob Ewell was cruel to try to harm Tom Robinson. He knew that there was little chance for Tom Robinson to win the court case because he was a Negro and he will be at a disadvantage. From the trial, I truly see racism in the society. It was the first time I had seen racism in town. I realise that our father is actually teaching us not to be racist since young. He is against racism and we can also see the negative consequences of racial prejudice.

We also have a neighbour called Arthur Radley. But my brother and I often call him Boo Radley. This neighbour has not appear for fifteen years since his father lock him up in the house. However, after Bob Ewell attack my brother and I one night, Boo Radley came out to save us. It was until then that we realised that Boo Radley remained isolated from the town for so long because he is against the idea of racial prejudice in the society. Thus, he hides in his house to avoid hearing or seeing anything regarding racial discrimination. These incidents gave me important lessons on racism and why we should avoid it. Even though I wished that racism would stop one day, I knew that it would continue to last for a long time because people with higher authority tends to bully or take advantage of other social groups with less authority.

This is about all. I hope you understand the severeness of racism in my hometown. However, racial discrimination is also happening throughout the world and they could be much more serious than those which appears in Maycomb county.

Yours truly,
Jean Louise Finch
aka
Scout

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home